Sunday 17 March 2013

Why We Need Feminism

This might be a bit of a confusing start - this morning I found a picture I wanted to share with people, that was basically just the suggestions Google comes up with when you type things like "women should" or "women deserve". I tried it for myself and it's shocking (you should try it). Anyways, after seeing it this morning I didn't save it (I was on my phone) but decided to try and find it again later to post here. I couldn't find it. So I typed "why we need feminism" into Google images. Here are some things that came up:


(This guy actually had a real and good reason..The idiots that edited it can't even spell "dick".)

We all know people still think like this. During the last presidential elections it became very clear just how badly we still need feminism. Images like these, how common they are and the regular sexist jokes I hear enrage me.
Last year, a male friend at uni asked me if I would call myself a feminist. I said "While I obviously agree with a lot of aspects of feminism, I wouldn't call myself one." He didn't understand why not. Evidently, neither did I. Over the next several months up until now, I regularly pondered that and looked into this whole "feminism" thing, getting more and more angry about how much it's ignored. About how I didn't even understand it enough, at 19, to realize that it's awful hard to be a woman and not be a feminist. There's a dire need in our society to erase the negative connotations surrounding the word "feminism" and replace it with the basic idea that started it: that women are equal to men, and need to be treated as such. That getting paid equally, having the same opportunities, not allowing anyone else to define you, belittle you or have a say in what happens to your body are the most important things we need to make happen. Accomplishing this will take more than just "radical women" fighting for their rights; instead, it will take every woman, and every man that values and respects women. 


On this topic, check out this website: http://www.whoneedsfeminism.com/about.html
Most of the Google images were submissions from there. Some of them are interesting... Some of them are great!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment/rant/fact/statement/story! :)